My Little Girl

My Little Girl

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Staying Organized: Feeding Time


Part four of (maybe) five in the "Staying Organized" mini-series.

Feeding Time: Making healthy easy and convenient!

In my "Double Duty" blog, I mentioned food briefly. The thing of it is, that section was originally going to be super long. I realized I had more to say on it than I thought and it would need it's own little post. So here are my tips for feeding time!

The thing is, when it comes time to eat with a little one, it can (and WILL) get crazy and messy. It really doesn't matter if you are making/warming a bottle, or mushing up some "solids," or actually cutting up real food pieces. You are going to feel like it takes forever! And a big part of that is because your baby knows what time it is and wants to eat NOW!

Before I move on, I just want to rant and clarify. I hate when people ask if Emma is on "solids" yet. Because no, she's not. She's on MUSH!! Seriously. There has to be a better name for this phase because, to me, solids are like chunks of chicken. Not this mush I'm giving her! BUT, in an effort to keep things simple for all other moms out there who may be reading this, I will continue to call the goop I give her "solids."

Okay, back on topic. Rant done. Now I *really* will give my tips.

Prep ahead. Whether it's formula or solids, feeding times can be a little easier if it's already ready.
  • Formula: We got a glass jar from a dairy place we use. I can mix up about 48 ounces of water and 24 scoops of formula powder. That usually lasts about 2 days. 
  • Solids: I mix 1/4 cup rice cereal or oatmeal cereal and 1 container of baby food puree. I split this in two bowls & put one in the fridge for later; then I just have to heat and go. 
  • Homemade Prep: I also went the route of homemade baby food, which is even more time consuming. But worth it. So when Emma was around 4 months old, I spent an entire morning just getting her future food ready. I steamed or baked peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and baked potatoes. Then I pureed them (separately), set them in ice cube trays and other single-serving-size containers. Froze them. Now I can pull out one or two cubs as needed, leave them in the fridge to thaw, add her cereal, mix and go. It's good to know that she is eating REAL FOOD and not something processed all the time. I think it will only help us to keep her on that path.
  • Other liquids: I always keep 1-2 sippy cups of water in the fridge. 
Invest in a food processor. Yeah, I know the Baby Bullet can run upwards of $60. BUT you can use it for your food too! It is so worth it. I did the whole "making my kid's own baby food" thing. But you don't have to do all that to justify buying one of these.

Yes, I decided to pre-make a lot of Emma's baby food. But you don't have to. If you are one of those mom's who wants to get your child on the path of "we all eat the same dinner," then this is perfect for you too. Are you having carrots for dinner tonight. Just pop some (unseasoned) ones in and Voila! Baby dinner made the same time yours is cooking! As they get older and can be introduced to new things, you just plop them all in the little processor and done. I actually used mine when I was making Chicken Tortilla Soup a while back. My guy isn't a fan of beans, but I love the smell and taste of them. So I cooked some, put them in our Baby Bullet, and pureed until smooth/chunky (that almost smooth, but just not quite stage). Added it to the soup and he couldn't even tell they were in there.

Go ahead and buy those travel cups, sippy cups, and other "big kid" things you don't think you'll need yet. Seriously, there's nothing worse than seeing that you need something you don't have. I hate that feeling. So I registered for one or two sippy cups for Emma. I knew there would come a time when I would have to give her one, and having one on hand--at the back of the cabinet, mind you--just made me feel better. Same thing with those travel containers. I REALLY wanted those for her. They have a soft plastic top the baby can put their hands in and get those puff things or whatever. But the baby can't get too many, and if it gets dropped it's (probably) not going to make a mess. Cups, plates, "big kid silverware"... just go ahead and get one or two of each. That's all you'll need in the beginning. And feeling prepared for anything just makes you feel more calm. At least it does for me.

Have a cabinet JUST for baby food-stuff. It can and will take over your kitchen if you aren't prepared for it. This was something I QUICKLY came to realize as I unloaded the bottles and accessories from Emma's baby showers. Right then and there, I just moved everything around in the kitchen so she would have an entire cabinet for her stuff. It's really great to have that all together so if I have to send her Daddy in to get something, he doesn't get frustrated by not knowing if her puffs are with the snacks or cereals. They are just all together. Now, when she gets to be a little older (18 months--2 years or so), I plan on moving things around AGAIN so that she has her own cabinet where she can help set the table and learn "chores" but they are manageable and at her level. Right now though, I need that cabinet up high and all food things at arm's level.

Okay, I think that about wraps up "FOOD" for now. I have one more blog about what I think are a new mommy's Must Have's. I promise this will wrap up soon. I just started a new job and love it. But it does mean that some things are getting pushed to the weekends or wee-hours of the morning. Thank you all for being so patient!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Emmaleigh Grace

Emmaleigh Grace