My Little Girl

My Little Girl

Friday, March 8, 2013

How does this happen??

It has taken me almost an entire week to write this blog. Every time I tried to finish up the post on the anatomy scan, it made me think of what happened last week, and especially Saturday, and I just couldn't get the words out. Today I am making myself write this. I hope it helps me somehow. Most people who read this will probably not know the person I'm talking about. They won't really get this. And that's okay.

Last Tuesday, February 26th, a good friend of mine was shot. Not the kind of shot like he got caught in a crossfire. Not the kind of shot where he attacked someone. No. The kind of shot where some jackwad driver got upset with him, stepped out of his car holding his gun, walked up to Brandon's car, and shot him three times. Yeah. The utterly defenseless kind of shot. And three times.

Now this alone makes me angry. But it gets more ... there's really no word to explain it. The jackwad is trying to say he was defending himself from Brandon. Oh yeah. A man sitting locked and strapped in his truck is really scary and intimidating. This guy claimed Brandon had a gun. Well, when the cops checked Brandon's person and vehicle there was NOTHING!!! So how did this person feel threatened enough to justify shooting a man SITTING IN HIS CAR???

And then there's still more: The man who shot my friend was an off-duty security officer. A rent-a-cop. Who couldn't hold down a job in the field for very long. He had been a security guard for about 4 different companies and let go from all of them. Says something to me. When the cops came to the scene of the crime, they interviewed this guy... AND LET HIM GO!!! WHAT? Are you kidding me? Even if he is claiming self-defense, anyone else who shoots someone in broad daylight would be taken in for questioning. They would be held. Not this guy. He walked away from this. Went home to his wife. And nothing has been done to him.

Brandon fought for his life for four whole days. He ultimately gave in and gave up to the Lord. On Saturday, March 2nd, at 10:10am, Brandon passed away. He leaves behind his wife and three sons. His youngest son was just 2 weeks old at the time.

I sit here every morning and get on facebook. I look at Brandon's page, and those pages remembering and honoring him. I watch the videos people have made of him. For him. I spend an hour of my day crying, missing this person who was just SUCH a good person. He played in a Christian Rock Band. He fought in Afghanistan. He led the youth theatre in our hometown.

I met Brandon in 7th grade. Even back then, he was just such a FUN person. He played football, but he wasn't like the stereotypical football players. He didn't fit into any of those molds, on TV or movies or anything. He always had a smile on his face. Always. He was kind to everyone. When we got to high school, he got into drama and speech. I wasn't involved in any of those but we stayed friends for the next four years.

One of my last face-to-face conversations came when we were in college, way back in 2006 I think. He was about to be shipped overseas. We messaged each other and said it would be fun to catch up. He told me about his wife. Their new baby Nolan. His deployment. What he had been getting into since we graduated. I remember sitting in DUC and just enjoying time with my friend.

I never saw him again. Not in person. He went overseas. I went to the University of Alabama for my internship, then Florida International University for grad school. He came home and raised his family with his wife. They had another baby boy: Evan. I went to work in Texas for a bit. I moved to Illinois to be around my family up here. We messaged on facebook a few times. I loved seeing what plays and productions he had coming up with the youth. He'd post videos of his band. Let everyone know what they were doing. He ran for Constable last November and it was fun seeing that side of him too.

There are some days I wonder if I should just give up my facebook. Sometimes the drama on there is frustrating. After last week, I know that's just not gonna happen anytime soon. I am sooo thankful for the past 7 years of being able to stay friends with Brandon even though we lived so far apart. I know there will still be drama on there. People will say stupid things. But ultimately, it keeps me active in the lives of those people I grew up with.

Brandon, I miss you. Every day. I find myself sitting alone crying because I hate what was done to you. I am thankful you were my friend. I am thankful for the past 15 years of knowing you. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Right up to your very last breath you were a shining example for your sons. You fought and showed strength. You died and showed faith in God. You gave your organs to 8 people and showed compassion. Thank you B-Rad. Love and miss you buddy.

Every. Single. Day.

Rock out in Heaven, man.
 Brandon with his family before baby Conner was born.

My friend.

1 comment:

  1. I love this tribute to him! I love you girl and that baby girl Emma! Brandon was an amazing person whose light shined so bright and he will never be forgotten! He was literally changing the world one person at a time and I believe his sons will grow up to be just like him!

    ReplyDelete

Emmaleigh Grace

Emmaleigh Grace