My Little Girl

My Little Girl

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Gender Roles

Okay, a lot of you may think this is a bit premature being as Emma is only 6 months. But I saw something recently that made me question things I had always held as "silly" or simply part of an old wive's tale.

I always believed that kids aren't born with "boy" tendencies or "girl" tendencies. I never thought that because I had a daughter I would assume Barbie dolls over GI Joes. I never thought that by having an Emma instead of an Eli that she would automatically choose pinks and daisies over blues and sail boats.

And I'm not saying that she DOES choose those things...yet. But there have been times where I realize that maybe I was wrong. Maybe there is a basis for the general assumptions placed on girls and boys.

You see, Emma is already showing SOME preferences. Some very girly preferences. Prime example: she loves the Disney show "Sophia the First." Every time it comes on she stops to watch it. She will sit through the whole thing. But if "Jake & the Neverland Pirates" comes on...eh she's over it. She'll throw a mini fit until we get her.

That's not to say she likes all the "girly" shows. She only barely tolerates "Doc McStuffins" and that's supposed to be an empowering show for girls.

I know. I know. Emma's only 6 months old. She has a lot of time to figure out what she likes and what she doesn't. I sincerely try to expose her to toys and shows that aren't simply for girls. If she ends up liking all the girly things--the dress ups and pink and **shudder** glitter--than I will let her and help her.

Of course, if she ends up liking things that are considered more "boyish," than that's fine by me too! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Emmaleigh Grace

Emmaleigh Grace