My Little Girl

My Little Girl

Saturday, January 11, 2014

6 month check up

Emma had her 6 month check-up yesterday. And Boy, is she getting big now!! And so much personality. She knows what she wants and what she likes. And WHO she likes. haha

So we walked in for her check up and the nurse took us back to our room. Emma smiled and played with her. Let us take her height and weight and measure her head. No problem. By the way: She weighs 17 pounds, 3.4 ounces putting her in the 67th percentile (she weighs more than 67% of other 6 month olds). She's 26.5 inches long and in the 69th percentile. And her head is 43 cm in circumference, putting her in the 60th percentile.

Anyways, so we played on the table until the doctor came in. We had fun with the paper they lay down on it, tearing it up in places and scrunching it up--making a lot of noise. Laughing, playing with our toys. She was just such a good baby.

Then the doctor walked in. And the SECOND Doc opened that door, Emma had this leery look on her face. She grabbed a hold of my shirt a little tighter with one hand and pulled my neck to her with the other. She didn't take her eyes off the doctor at all. And she refused to smile or laugh. Nothing. Stone Cold Emma is what we coulda called her!

Then the doc asks if I want to sit in a chair with Emma while she looks at her. I told her we should be okay on the table. We had just been playing on it. Nope. I was COMPLETELY wrong. When her feet touched that paper, those tears started pouring. And the screaming and crying and...ugh it was miserable. And that wasn't even the hardest part of the appointment. So we moved to the chair and I held Emma while the doc looked her over. She offered up her necklace for Emma to play with while she examined her. Emma took it and yanked as hard as she could. Then she grabbed for the stethoscope. I had to warn her about the teeth because Emma tried to BITE HER! Emma was full of fire, I tell ya!

The doc said everything is great. Told me to up her "solid foods" from 1 feeding a day to 3, stick to yellow/orange veggies before moving on to green veggies, and just keep at what we're doing.

Then we waited for the mean nurse to come in. The one with the shots. I hate that person's job. The lady is nice enough, but Emma knows her and what she means: Bad news! Emma was inconsolable during the shots. They don't take too long, but it truly feels like an eternity. I used my hair to cover Emma's face like a tent so she could pull and play with it; she always does that when she needs to soothe herself. I don't know if it helped, but at least she couldn't see what was being done and try to kick the lady like last time.

The after effects weren't as bad as the last two times. Not sure if it's because we nipped it in the bud by giving her some Tylenol a few hours after to prevent the very mild fever that was already starting from getting worse. Basically she was 97.6 at the doctor's at 10am and 98.9 at home at 2pm, so I gave her the small end of the allowable dose. She didn't fuss near as bad, unless I tried to put her down. Then she wasn't having it. So we ended up spending most of yesterday on the couch being vegetables. Not doing much. She slept through the night fairly well also.

Okay, so that's it for now. Hoping she has a good day today. She usually is fine the second day, so I'm not too worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Emmaleigh Grace

Emmaleigh Grace