My Little Girl

My Little Girl

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Getting Crafty

I really want to get back into doing crafts and fun things again. When I was little, my Grammy taught me how to cross-stitch. Man, I would love to do something for Emma's room! A little owl or elephant or something like that to hang on her walls.

*********************

This past weekend I went to a cousin's baby shower and got to make her a "diaper tub." I used a basket and wrapped diapers around it. They were "defective" diapers that we stopped using because Emma was having blow-outs or leaks Every. Single. Time we used them. I wouldn't wish them on anyone, let alone my cousin's baby, so I used packaging tape around the base to keep them on there. (There are ways to attach them that won't ruin them, but I didn't care if these were ruined so I taped the CRAP out of them! haha). Then I filled it with shower-themed items. I used a hooded towel to make a diaper baby (yes, a diaper baby IN the diaper tub!). And a white blanket to make it look like a bubble bath. Little rubber duckies and other bath toys, sample shampoos and lotions.. Then I made a shower head with a blanket and used a blue wash cloth to make it look like dripping water.
Here's a few pics of how it turned out:


I also made a "Diaper Tree." I took packages of diapers and wrapped them in onesies, draped bibs over the top using a bottle to center them. Then I hung a few pacifiers from it and a package of trinket boxes for the first tooth and first haircut.

The last "crafty" thing I did was make "cupcake onesies." I rolled cute onesies around a sock so it looked like a cherry on top of a cupcake. Then I put them in cupcake holders and put them in small cupcake boxes. They were cute. I'm still learning how to make them all look the same (some were taller than the others, but you couldn't really tell when they were in the boxes). It was fun to do these little crafty things. That way, even though a lot of the things we gave her were hand-me-downs, they were still presented in a cute way. Everyone really enjoyed it. (It helped that we made sure we took really good care of Emma's clothes and other things so we still gave only high quality items.)

*********************

The other thing I want to do is make or have made a quilt for Emma. I have the little felt diapers used in those games ("Who has the poopy diaper?" and "What's in that diaper?"). I want to use some of her baby clothes interspersed with these felt pieces to make a quilt for her. I want, in years to come, to hold this quilt and touch these little pieces of her baby-hood. The hard part is deciding which articles of clothing I will refuse to use if/when we decide to have another baby...especially if that baby is a girl as well. But, then again, Emma has TONS of clothes that when I look at them, I just can't imagine another baby wearing them. There's going to be enough pieces to make a good size quilt. I wonder how I can make this happen; but also so it looks amazing. I might have to have someone do this for me and then learn on smaller, less important projects. I think that's the way I'll go. Take the safe route on something so significant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Emmaleigh Grace

Emmaleigh Grace