My Little Girl

My Little Girl

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

They say if you write them down you are more likely to follow through with them. So here are mine:
  1. I resolve to read at least one book a week. By that I mean either take a little time (maybe 30-45 minutes) EACH day to read a book, or allow myself a good few hours ONE day. I know it's hard to finish a book when you can't focus on it (I figured that out for sure when I did my reading blog a few years back); so I'm not going to berate myself for not FINISHING a book a week. That will be the ultimate goal, but just allowing myself to take a personal break and not feel terrible about it will be a huge improvement over what I allow myself now. I mean, I feel guilty if I take a shower while Emma is awake! haha
  2. I resolve to get back to a healthy weight. This means adding exercise to my week. Again, I can't let Mommy-guilt take over. Included in this: I want to participate in a 5K again this coming year. I did a few weeks before I started dating my guy, and was pregnant when it was decent enough weather to do another one. So 2014... I want to do it again.
  3. I resolve to be more crafty. I see all these projects I want to do for each holiday. Now I just have to DO them! I'm following my friend's blog (Check it out: Love & Lion). She has all these great ideas and fun crafts. They are all things I want to do. I always say the reason I don't is because I don't have many friends my own age around here. But I'm not going to let that stop me anymore. I'm going to find the friends I DO HAVE up here and make it happen. Once a month, or every other month. Something. I just want to have a house that feels like home. Where you look around and find little things that just make that space unique. 
  4. I resolve to be a good mom. This is something I work on every day as it is. I always want to be someone Emma looks up to and respects and admires. I don't know if I believe that she will remember things from now, but I DO think the things we do now will filter into the things we do later--things she WILL remember. So I try and make sure I work on my bad habits. I actively think about my words now. I actively think about how I present myself. I actively think about how I view myself. Because making it an active decision now will make it an involuntary action or thought later. 
  5. I resolve to accept my life is different and not try to maintain certain standards I set before I became a mom. Example? I have to accept I will never have an entirely clean house ever again! Just (sort of) kidding. But seriously, I do have to accept that, for now, I will only be able to work on a little bit of my house at a time. I might be able to get the kitchen clean and laundry started one day & have to leave the living room and folding the laundry for another. I am having to accept it will take me probably 3 days to clean my whole house until I can give Emma age-appropriate chores. (I.E.: Putting her toys away when she's 1, helping me sort the laundry into colors when she's two, etc. Things that will make her self-sufficient--the toys--or educate her--matching like colors with the laundry.)
  6. I resolve to carve out time each week for boyfriend/girlfriend time. Time where my guy and I don't have to be on Mommy-Daddy duty. Where we can go back for a while and keep our relationship moving forward. This may seem counter-productive to the previous Resolution, but it's really not. I honestly believe that if you only allow yourself to satisfy one role (mommy/daddy) then every other relationship can suffer. If I only think of my guy as the father of my daughter and forget to think of him as my boyfriend, than I will miss so many great attributes he has to offer.
So there you go. My New Year's Resolutions. In a nutshell: 1) Read each week. 2) Exercise. 3) Do more crafts. 4) Be a good mom. 5) Accept my life as it currently is. And 6) Make sure to continue cultivating my relationship.

Happy New Year's Eve everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Emmaleigh Grace

Emmaleigh Grace