My Little Girl

My Little Girl

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Thankful

Every day I wake up and thank God for the person next to me.

Yes, of course I mean my boyfriend. But I also mean those people who are emotionally beside me; spiritually beside. Those people who have blessed my life with their gifts of love and friendship.

I grew up in a small town. Well to some people it seems like a small town. To us, it was a big town with a small town feel. It didn't matter if you actually knew someone or not, you would tip your hat to them. Both literally and figuratively. Some of the best people I know came from there. My very best friends in the world, I met there.

My best friend from high school has been through so much with me. We have traveled the world--separately--and shared our stories. We were best friends almost immediately and neither time nor distance has slowed that relationship down. She now lives almost 1,400 miles away with her husband and three little girls. But we pick up the phone after a few weeks or months think nothing of it. Our friendship helped me through some bad relationships, showed me that a good person isn't someone who does everything right, but someone who's actions are done with the right mindset. One of my oldest and dearest friends.

My roommate from college is another person from home I thank God for. We had a year as roommates and that led to a lifelong friendship. We share our lives with each other; our ups and downs; our successes and our failures. She also lives really far from me, but I never feel like we are losing touch. I still quote funny things we said to each other. Still laugh at our silliness from sophomore year at college. Still remember driving to see her through a tornado! She taught me that fun is sometimes more important than you think. If you take the fun out of life, it's really not worth living anymore.

My other best friend from college... She's the craziest, kookiest, most lovable person I know. Southern to the core, she embodies almost every "southern value" I can think of. She actually did travel the world with me. Well, most of the U.S. at least. Within 5 minutes of meeting her, I knew she was someone I needed to have in my life. She loves her friends and her family with everything in her. She is kind and smart...but a bull with a smartmouth if you hurt someone she cares about. I can't tell you how many times I have cried on her shoulder, laughed until I cried, and talked until we were hoarse.

My "new" friend is actually someone I've known since the day I entered high school. We were in homeroom together and I thought she was an awesome person. We never fought or anything those four years; we just moved in different circles. Every Wednesday though--or whenever homeroom was, we would talk and have fun. Now though, we seem to be at such similar places in our lives. It was weird how after not talking for so long, she was one of the very first people I wanted to share my news with. She was there from the beginning of my relationship. She and I shared our stories of how we quickly fell in love with amazing men and threw caution to the wind to follow our hearts. Then I found out I was pregnant, and I *had* to tell her. There wasn't a real "reason" she was one of the first to know, except that it felt like something I had to do.

I have two relationships here where I live now that are very similar to those from back home. One is with a girl I worked with for MAYBE 8 weeks. She and I got very close during that time. She and her "new at the time" boyfriend were very welcoming. They made me feel like I had known them forever. They were so gracious in sharing their life with me. Throughout the past 2 and a half years, I have witnessed the beginning of their relationship follow through to a couple knowing they had found their soulmate; I was invited to their wedding, baby shower, and even to be a part of their new family. Her friendship is one that defies a lot of logic (how can you become such fast friends with someone when you live so far away and didn't know each other that long?), but means the world to me here.

Then there's my boyfriend. Within 5 minutes of meeting him, I knew he was the most amazing person I had ever met. He was gorgeous, sure. He has the most amazing eyes. His smile and laugh are infectious. His arms are DROOL WORTHY! But it was his heart that made me fall so quickly. He helps his friends and family without complaining. He is always the first to show up and the last to leave. He puts aside time for himself to make time for others. I swear, there is not a better person for me. I liked him from a far for years; never thinking I would be lucky enough to end up with someone like him...let alone this very person who takes my breath away every time I look at him. (He still does.)

I guess the common theme through all these relationships is: I knew without a doubt and without hesitation that these were people to follow. When God shines that bright light on someone, you'd be an idiot to turn away. God brought these people to me to show me how to live by example. It's as blatant as a whop to the back of the head (otherwise known as a "Gibb's slap"). There doesn't have to be a logical explanation for why these relationships built, grew, developed. In fact, logic seems to have no place in them. I am someone who likes to think things through before I go and do something. And sometimes I weigh those options quickly. But with each of these people, there were no other options. These were to be my fast-friends, bossom-buddies, and besties. These people have brought so much to my life; I wonder if I will ever truly deserve the greatness that comes from being their friend.

Now I know there are a TON of friends who I am leaving out of this blog. I'm sorry. It's really early and I have to head to work soon. But I want you to know that your friendships and the lessons I've learned from you have shaped and molded me. Thank you all for your love, guidance, lessons, honesty, trust, and friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Emmaleigh Grace

Emmaleigh Grace