My Little Girl

My Little Girl

Sunday, January 27, 2013

What a Day (part 2)

Sorry. Yesterday was an incredible day and didn't end until after 11:30, so by the time I was able to post anything, I was already exhausted!! Here's the rest of the day.

After we found out we were having a girl, I started freaking out again. I mean, we had gone into this thinking we were having a boy and didn't consider girl names. But I think I knew I was having a girl, because I had been freaking out about not having a girl name already picked out. I ended up bringing my baby name book with me, just in case. We were driving away and I said, "Well, we're back at square one with her name." My boyfriend's mom, who went with us for the u/s said her name was Emily. (It's the name she and her husband had seen in a Christmas commercial and they really loved it. Since my bf and I thought "boy," we hadn't really thought about it again.)

We ended up going to see my guy's maternal grandma (I'll call her GW) and telling her the news. She was sooo happy!! This will be her first great-granddaughter. We stayed there for a little bit, playing Skip-Bo while my bf and GW's bf were out in the garage doing "manly things." lol While we were there I was going through the baby name book, trying to see if there were any other names we liked. Middle names, other first names and Emily be the middle name, names we might like more... just throwing names out there because it's fun! lol My bf said he really liked 2 names: Emily and Avery. He even said he wanted to name her Emily Rose and call her Em. (His first initial is M, my middle name is Rose. Kind of like a combo of both our names...)

It was in the car after dropping his mom off that he said he really liked the name Emily. I asked if he would be okay with me spelling it differently. He said as long as it's not "weird." I told him I wanted to spell it "Emmaleigh." Like two names, but one. He agreed. (He doesn't realize she still gets the literary name I was hoping for: Emma by Jane Austen!!)

Then I had to go buy a bday present for my stepdad that would let him know he was having a granddaughter. I went to Things Remembered and bought a snow globe. It had a pink base with a little name plate and a little girl praying inside it. Snow globes mean a lot to him; he used to buy HIS MOM one every year for Christmas. She passed away about a month ago and I knew this would mean a lot to him. I ended up having the baby's name engraved on the name plate.

We went to my mom's house for dinner, hung out with my sisters, stepsister, and stepbrothers for a while. I was BURSTING with the news, so I kind of told people individually. Not as a group. My baby sister started crying... then said "I KNEW IT!" When I told my middle sister, her first words were "I KNEW IT!" (Think there was a conspiracy? lol) My stepsister was thrilled. Especially when I gave her a card and asked her to be the godmother. I gave her a bracelet/bangle with Emma's name engraved on it. My stepbrothers kept patting my belly and making jokes about calling her "LaFonda." LOL

Well, right before we ate, I told my stepdad he had to open his present from my bf and I now. Everyone who knew was dying to say something. My mom and stepdad were the only people who didn't know. So he opened the box and pulled out the snowglobe. The light was hitting the name plate to where he couldn't read it, so my mom held it and read the name. She just kept looking at me. I said "Yeah, that's her name." My mom actually started screaming! and jumping! and dancing! lol It was hilarious!! My stepdad said "We're having a girl??"

The rest of the night is kind of a blur. Between the birthday celebration and the news of the baby, everyone was just having a great night. We played poker for a few hours, the guys played pool and went ice fishing on the pond behind the house... It was just a really great night.

Okay, so here are a few pictures of baby Emmaleigh:

 Just like her mommy, she doesn't want to be in front of the camera!

Mommy and Daddy both sleep just like this!

Profile shot. This was the first image we saw when we got there.
 
 Took a while, but we FINALLY got the shot letting us know she's a GIRL!

Sorry if any of these are blurry. Some are pics of pics. And some are pics I took as the DVD played on the TV. I'd pause it and take a pic of the screen. lol

So there she is. my DAUGHTER! I'm having a little girl. Amazing. I didn't have a preference before I went in there. But now that I know, I am ecstatic! My bf is getting used to the idea of being a daddy to a little girl. This is completely new for him. There haven't been too many girls in his family on either side. And he's such a manly man!! But I have these images of father-daughter dances. Him walking her down the aisle at her wedding. Him coaching her softball teams and sitting there (albeit uncomfortably) at her dance competitions. I just see him being like the dad in Father of the Bride. Totally protective of his baby girl, even when she's 25 and starting her own life/family.

Now I have to start thinking about the nursery!! Good thing the theme I wanted was gender neutral and had things in blue AND pink. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Emmaleigh Grace

Emmaleigh Grace