My Little Girl

My Little Girl

Monday, December 31, 2012

Hopes & Dreams

Now-a-days we live in a world where promises are merely words, not the covenant between people as they used to be. Where letting children do whatever they want is considered good parenting because you are allowing them to "express themselves." Where discipline is considered abuse.

I don't want to live in that world.

I have all these hopes and dreams for my little one. I watch my belly grow and each day it gets bigger, so do my dreams and wishes.

I hope my baby is strong. I want so much for this little one to be able to look whomever in the eye and never back down when they are right. That being said, I also hope my baby has enough strength to be able to accept when they are wrong. To learn from others when there is opportunity.

I hope my baby is kind. My dreams fill with this perfect bundle waddling up to strangers and offering little dandelions they picked with a huge gummy grin. I live for the day when I can look into the pure eyes of my baby, eyes which have never known sadness or letdowns. (I hope they are hazel eyes like Daddy's... I love his eyes.)

I hope my baby is smart. Not just the kind of smart that comes from books--though I pray for that too. But the kind of smart that comes from learning from those around them. I hope my baby loves books as I do. I'll fill the baby room with classics and read every night. I'm not much of a songbird, but I *can* read a book!! Daddy has so much more common sense than I do; I hope my baby inherits that too.

I hope my baby is social. Daddy can scan a room and know the exact best way to approach people almost immediately; I take a lot longer to allow people in. My way has always worked for me. It kept me from allowing the wrong people in too quickly or being disappointed by those I don't know. But Daddy... Daddy has never met a stranger it seems!! He is right at home in any group. I envy that about him sometimes. It works for him and he is very comfortable with it. I don't think it would work for me, but I hope my baby walks with the ease and grace of Daddy.

I'm not saying I think my baby will grow up perfect. I know there will be temper tantrums in our future. There will be many "Because I said so's" and "If I have to tell you one more time..." Daddy and I joke that patience is not a virtue our baby will inherit a lot of--because neither of us are exceptionally patient people!

I foresee moments where my baby will think every toy is theirs or should be--as all children do. And at those times, I look forward to teaching the concepts of sharing and giving. Of right and wrong. I will not withhold my opinion when they stumble--for I do not think of these times as failures... merely stepping stones. I will show my baby every day love is not conditional on perfection. A parent's love is unconditional.

I will not give my baby every physical thing they desire. I was given every thing I needed, and earned the extras I wanted. It was frustrating as a child, but now I am grateful for those lessons. My parents showed me how to work hard and be accountable.

I know the saying "It's a grandparent's job is to spoil their grandkids." I'm well aware my grandparents went above and beyond for us whenever they could. But I was also lucky my grandparents felt it was equally important to spoil us in lessons and good manners, as much as with toys. If I wanted a new set of crayons and a coloring book, I had to go to Bingo with my Grammy and sit there and *BEHAVE* for four hours straight. (Yes, I know the old Italian men used to sneak me all the Oatmeal Cream Pies! lol) The point is, I knew that my extras were just: things given to me but not to be expected or demanded. And I appreciated them more because they were earned.

So there it is. A semi-short list of the hopes and dreams I have for my little pumpkin. My dreams aren't the things of fairy tales. They are the dreams of a parent wanting to see their little one happy, healthy, and an all-around good person.

I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Emmaleigh Grace

Emmaleigh Grace