My Little Girl

My Little Girl

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Making Changes

Grown-ups always say you do things for your kids to make their lives better than yours. That you make sacrifices and give things up. It always seemed redundant to say, because of course you would make changes and sacrifices for your kids. Of course you want a better life for them.

I guess what I didn't realize is how quickly those changes can be made and how EASY it really can be. Right after my boyfriend found out we were going to be parents, he started talking about selling his motorcycle and his truck. He figured we would get ourselves settled out, have some extra money in savings. I kept telling him he didn't have to do that. I know how much he loves his bike. And his truck... well every family needs a truck! But it doesn't matter what I say; he is adamant he is going to do what's best for our baby. He figured we could always get another truck later. As far as his bike, it hasn't been the same it was pushed it over on the 4th of July.

Then I took a look at myself and what I had. See, I have student loan debt from grad school. I always felt bad about that because there's no way to get that to go away. That's what I'm bringing to the table, so to speak. There was something I could do though. I could sell my car now and pay off quite a bit of my debt. So that's what we did yesterday. We got up bright and early and went to Carmax--and sold Betty, my PT Cruiser convertible. Right before they opened the doors, he asked me if I was sad at all. I told him no, because I wasn't and I'm not.

I loved that car while I had her. She was a lot of fun to drive around in during the summer, riding around with the top down. She had some fun features like the Aux-port so I could play my iPod. But... she wasn't the car a new mom should have. A roll bar just doesn't cut it when there's going to be a baby in the back. 2-doors just isn't enough. And the trunk... well she'd never fit a stroller in there! Betty was a car for a young, fun, single lady. And two years ago when I got her, that's what I was.

Now I'm an expectant mom. That already takes precedence over everything else.

So here is my tribute and farewell to Betty.






And now... well now we make it work until this next summer. We'll be able to put more money in savings so we can get the best, baby friendly vehicle we can find.

See that's the thing that lets me know we'll be amazing parents. Without being asked, we both offer up the few things we own, that we worked hard for, so we won't be stressed when the baby comes. Well, maybe a little less stressed than new parents can be, anyways!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Emmaleigh Grace

Emmaleigh Grace