My Little Girl

My Little Girl

Friday, December 7, 2012

Mommy Mantras, pt. 1

So this is going to be a "series" of blogs spread throughout my pregnancy and even longer, on things people tell me and how I'm incorporating them. Especially now, in the early stages.

1. "Get plenty of sleep."/ "Sleep when the baby sleeps." Okay, so the second is a little early to use, BUT I'm definitely getting the hang of the first! Sleep whenever I can? Okay! No problem! The problem now is I want to sleep all the time. I want to sleep when I should be washing my hair in the shower. I want to sleep when I should be making dinner. I want to sleep when I should be working!! The problem, right now at least, is not NOT getting enough sleep. The problem is making sure I don't sleep at those inopportune times.
The other part of that is... well at night, good sleep is really difficult to get. I can tell you approximately what time it is when I wake up in the middle of the night. It's somewhere between 2:08 and 2:28am. Yep. Every single night I wake up sweating like a fat pig on Christmas Eve. Then there's the whole "adjusting throughout the night" and "trying to find a comfortable way to sleep." Because, let's face it, *NOTHING* is comfortable anymore. Sleeping on my stomach makes me out of breath. Sleeping on my side makes me have to pee. And I've never been able to sleep on my back. Key here: Very soft, very comfy, very many pillows!! Those are saving me right now!

2. "Eat"/"Feed that baby." Everyone has their suggestions as to what I should or should not eat while pregnant. Spicy foods worked for some and others adamantly oppose going anywhere near that salsa! Some say to drink lots of water all day, but others say to slow way down after around 3pm--otherwise you'll end up getting up in the middle of the night for an entirely different reason.
Me. I just want to be able to eat SOMETHING! I want food to taste good again. I want to enjoy a meal, not "bite, chew, swallow" simply to get the nutrients I need. Ugh... I have a few mini-goals that I've set throughout this pregnancy. I hope it will break it up some so I don't get so freaked out about how long 40 weeks actually is. My first goal is 10 weeks, because that's 25% of the way there. The NEXT goal is 14 weeks. Because that's when this hellacious experience of "morning sickness" is supposed to go away. I just pray I follow suit on that one--and it doesn't last the entire pregnancy!

3. "Do what you can, when you can." I'm a huge OCD, clean freak. I hate messes. I always say "I never had to learn how to *really* clean, because I never really make a mess." I honestly believe that to a point. Now, if there's a mess, obviously I can clean it up. But the fact is, I don't let things get messy. I pick up after myself (and others, lol). I follow my mom and Grammy's advice of "Never leave a room empty-handed."
The thing is, now, I have almost 0 energy all day. And things were starting to back up. I felt like a complete failure because all the laundry wasn't completely done. Or there were dishes in the sink still. Or the fridge was a little bare because I hadn't been to the store in a while. Luckily my guy is absolutely amazing. No, he doesn't go and do those things for me (I never said he was PERFECT! Lol). But he looks at me and says "Babe. Don't WORRY about it. It's fine. It'll get done. The house looks great anyways." And the fact is, the house really isn't that messy. It's just me; I like things to be exactly where they are supposed to be. To combat this a little, I'm learning to "do what I can, when I can." I have a little bit of energy in the morning--I do the dishes. I have a little bit when in the evenings--do the laundry. On my way home from work and not about to pass out--stop and buy all the groceries we need. See... things are getting done. Not as quickly as I would like, but that's okay.
**Plus, they say in a few weeks I'll have most of my energy back and can do about 90% of what I did pre-pregnancy. That'll be nice!

Like I said, this is a series. These are not the only "blurbs" I've heard since I announced I was going to be a mommy. These are just the ones on my mind right now. I'll have more "Mommy Mantras" as we go! If you have any you want to share, go ahead and comment them here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Emmaleigh Grace

Emmaleigh Grace